We were overwhelmed by the support we got through our coronavirus appeal last year. The donations we received made a huge difference to our NHS staff and their patients. But they still need your help, now more than ever.
Under unimaginable pressure
As we all know only too well, the coronavirus hasn’t gone away. This terrible virus keeps attacking our communities and putting immense pressure on healthcare services. Right now, the dedicated staff at Guy’s, St Thomas’ and Evelina London are caring for hundreds of coronavirus patients, all while rolling out the vaccination programme to thousands of people, and continuing to run vital services in the hospitals and the community.
Many are having to cope with the stress of being re-deployed to other areas of work, in order to keep patients safe and support colleagues in the areas under greatest pressure. And everyone is working tirelessly – battling fear, anxiety and exhaustion – to tackle this pandemic.
“It’s just like shell shock”
As a senior nurse on the intensive care unit, Stephen Cutler is on the front line caring for people who are critically ill with the coronavirus. Stephen has been working at St Thomas' Hospital for 17 years, but nothing could have prepared him and his colleagues for what they are facing.
“You've been sent to a Covid-19 unit, then suddenly, you're on the front line. And you're seeing this disease you hear everyone talking about that's killing lots of people around the world. It’s just like shell shock. It hits you all of a sudden.”
We need you now more than ever
Staff and services at Guy’s, St Thomas’ and Evelina London are under more pressure than ever right now, as the new wave of the virus intensifies. A donation from you today will have a massive impact on care for patients and staff alike, including:
- supporting the mental and physical wellbeing of our NHS staff, who are battling fear, anxiety and exhaustion to tackle this pandemic.
- helping hospital services to keep running so patients can continue to receive vital care and support safely.
- bringing comfort to coronavirus patients in hospital and when they return home.
We appreciate these are extremely difficult times, but anything you can give will make such a difference:
- £10 could provide a hard-working member of staff a moment of relaxation in a dedicated wellbeing zone, where they can recharge with a complimentary hot drink and healthy snack.
- £20 could help provide half an hour of psychological support – protecting a hardworking member of staff’s mental and physical health.
- £30 could give a coronavirus patient access to some home comforts during their stay in hospital, as well as a pack of essentials for when they go home.
Please get behind our NHS workers, as they keep going, keep fighting, and keep providing vital care and comfort to the most vulnerable people in your community.
“We are all facing some truly difficult times, but it means so much to know that there are so many people who are holding us up, keeping our spirits up and recognising the challenges we are having to overcome. You are helping to take a weight off our shoulders and keep us going. I am very grateful, and I sincerely and wholeheartedly thank you all.”
Jill Eastmond, Nurse at Guy's and St Thomas'
Message of support
If you cannot donate right now, you can also get involved in our appeal by leaving a message of support for Evelina London staff; believe us, a single message can brighten up an entire shift.
Donate to our coronavirus appeal
Your support can #KeepUsAllGoing